Student Christian Movement [SCM] is not a church but a Ministry of the students/youths which seeks and acknowledges to lead others to believe in God through Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit. It works amongst the Students/youths in Secondary Schools, High Schools, and Tertiary institutions as well as out of school youth, by building them into responsible citizens and morally disciplined individuals and of indispensable relevance to church and society. Yes! It is definitely, a founding member of the Christian council of Lesotho [CCL].
SCM in Lesotho was found in 1909 by Mr. O.B. Bull, who brought Citizens from all Christian denominations who believed in the Holy Trinity and in the Bible countrywide together, and as a result, that’s how he moulded SCM membership by making it an open Movement.
MISSON AND VISION
The mission and vision of SCM is to reach the young people (students/youth).
- To help them to understand and accept the Lordship of Jesus Christ in their lives.
- To encourage and promote good leadership in the nation by exposing the future leaders to the influence of the power of God.
- To enhance ecumenical dialogue between youth and churches.
- To contribute towards caring for the marginalised and the destitute and towards poverty alleviation.
- To discover our Christian identity and break the political, racial and denominational barriers in the society.
We believe that the creation of just communities free from exploitation is at the heart of the religious experiences and acknowledge that Justice includes every form of relationship including the personal, economical, the spiritual and the environmental. SCM is open to exploring issues of Spirituality and politics in creative, inclusive and non-dogmatic ways.
MOTTO: We Spring from the Bible into the Society