Motto: People first, our minerals, our future
The Christian Council of Lesotho advocates for the implementation of the African Mining Vision Action Plan (AMV AP) in Lesotho. The extractives industries programme aims to ensure that environment, community, water are secured and to promote contribution and dialogue. There is always breakdown in trust between the community, government and mining companies due to lack of accountability, transparency and responsibility. Through this programme, the Council will engage the government to overcome the following challenges:
- Lack of capacity to physically audit production and exports
- Lack of capacity building programmes to enhance skills of public officials in negotiating fiscal regimes
- Illicit Financial Flaw
- Lack of the rightful conscience and ethics
- Lack of social corporate responsibilities.
We seek to ensure that:
- The government exercise its fundamental role to protect its people against mining companies.
- The mining companies are obliged to respect human rights of the people as per African Mining Vision.
We want transparency, accountability and moreover we want increased participation of the communities.