The Assemblies of God (AG), officially the World Assemblies of God Fellowship, is a group of over 140 autonomous but loosely associated national groupings of churches which together form the world’s largest Pentecostal denomination. With over 384,000 ministers and outstations in over 212 countries and territories serving approximately 67.9 million adherents Worldwide, it is the fourth largest international Christian group of denominations and the largest Pentecostal denomination in the world.
Assemblies of God Lesotho was established in 1909 in Makoabating at Mount Tabor, in 1910 the first Old Church was constructed and later the Mission House was built in 1917. The Church is found all over the country even in the remote places of Lesotho. Through the assistance from our Missionaries from Switzerland and USA the church has established schools, Health Centres and Bible College to advance the mission of the church to proclaim the good news of the Kingdom of God.
The overall government of the church is the General Council which sits one in every 2 years to elect the leadership of the church (Executive Committee) other structures are the districts Councils which have their own autonomy in running their respective district affairs. Currently we have 5 Districts, namely Maseru District Council, Mafeteng District Council, Northern District council, Southern District council and Mountain District Council
The overall number of churches of Assemblies of God Lesotho is 130 country wide and about 120 ministers.
The Church is guided by the following 16 fundamentals of truths which forms part of what we believe as the church
- The Bible is inspiredby God and is “the infallible, authoritative rule of faith and conduct”.
- There is only one true God who exists as a Trinity.
- Jesus Christis the Son of God and, as the second person of the Trinity, is God.
- Man was created good by God but was separated from God through original sin.
- Salvation”is received through repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ”.
- There are two ordinances. Believer’s baptismby immersion is a declaration to the world that the believer has died and been raised together with Christ, becoming a new creation. The Lord’s Supper is a symbol expressing the believer’s sharing in the divine nature of Christ, a memorial of Christ’s suffering and death, and a prophecy of Christ’s second coming.
- Baptism in the Holy Spiritis a separate and subsequent experience following conversion. Spirit baptism brings empowerment to live an overcoming Christian life and to be an effective witness.
- Speaking in tonguesis the initial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
- Sanctificationis “an act of separation from that which is evil, and of dedication unto God”. It occurs when the believer identifies with, and has faith in, Christ in his death and resurrection. It is understood to be a process in that it requires continual yielding to the Holy Spirit.
- The Church’s mission is to seek and save all who are lost in sin; the Church is the Body of Christand consists of all people who accept Christ, regardless of Christian denomination.
- Divinely called and scripturally-ordained ministersserve the Church.
- Divine healingof the sick is provided for in the atonement.
- The “imminent and blessed hope” of the Church is its rapturepreceding the bodily return of Christto earth.
- The rapture of the Church will be followed by the visible return of Christ and his reign on earth for a thousand years.
- There will be a final judgmentand eternal damnationfor the “wicked dead”.
There will be future new heavens and a new earth “wherein dwelleth righteousness”.